Friday, January 11, 2008

Neighborhood Purchase Program

How many snowblowers does one neighborhood need? When I lived in Chicago, I noticed a peculiar artifact of city living: everyone moved the snow in front of their own house, but stopped right at the property line of their neighbor. Seriously, they'd each buy a snowblower for their own family and move 10 yards of snow a year. What we need is a web-downloadable form and a system for gathering up your neighbors and using collective buying power. In hotter climates, perhaps this could mean sharing a big centrally located gas-powered grill or a set of power tools. I know what you're thinking: "But Aaron, how can 20 people share one expensive item without arguing about it constantly?" To that I say, buck up camper! It's not that hard, you just have to agree on terms of sharing ahead of time. Think of the money you can save, the resources you can save, and the bonding with your neighbors. Do you even know your neighbors? Meet them with a shared Saws-all and make a friend for life! It might not work with every neighbor, but I can tell you that it sure is convenient to borrow my neighbors' 20 foot ladder in exchange for a taste of my internet Wi-Fi access...

----------------
Now playing: Aaron and Elise - Chest Fever
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment